Thursday, January 22, 2009

Reporters Notebook: 01/24/09 - "Canners versus Bermudian"

I received a text message this week from a Bermudian Springs graduate. Yes, I do have friends in that area, but not many (sarcasm).
The message said: “What’s a Canner?”
I shook my head in disgust.
Then I wrote back: “What do we eat? What do we eat? Eagle meat! Eagle meat!”
Our banter was somewhat serious, since tonight is a big evening in Upper Adams. The Canner Dome in Biglerville will be rocking for the annual wrestling clash between the Eagles and the Canners.
Bermudian has dominated my Alma Mater in recent years, winning every single regular season match this decade. The last time we beat them in a league match, I was on the team.
Bermudian coach Dave McCollum shared unforgettable words with me and two of my teammates that year during a senior all-star match in York.
“It’ll be good to see you go,” I recall the veteran coach quipping. “You’ve been a pain in my butt for years.”
The Eagles haven’t lost to the Canners since, aside from the 2000-01 district team tournament.
It’s been quite a run. Will it end tonight?
I don’t have any idea.
But someone please save me a seat.
And remember: We like our Eagle meat raw, raw, raw.
~ Scot Andrew Pitzer

No comments:

Post a Comment