Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Coach Bill Cowher's "Twas the Night Before Christmas" - - - Steelers Style

Twas the night before Christmas, in a 'Burgh that I know.
The stadium was empty, and the lights did not glow.

The uniforms hung in the lockers with pride,
with the helmets, with emblems
on only one side.

The players and coaches had been gone for a while,
I sent them home early with a holiday smile.

So I cleared off my desk and was ready to leave,
to spend time at home on this Christmas Eve.

When out by the lockers I heard a loud clatter,
I ran from the office to see what was the matter.

I ran down the hall just as fast as can be,
and stopped at the door I was trying to see.

I heard some walking, some concern did this cause;
then I gasped when I saw, it was Santa Claus.

He was dressed not in red, but in gold trimmed with black;
and I watched as he pulled all the gifts from his sack.

Some fumbles, some picks, and some sacks for the "D,"
and a ball for Jeff Reed that flies as straight as can be.

The receivers got touchdowns, a long-bomb from Big Ben.
And yes, a defensive back for the BUS to smash in.

Every player and coach got a gift of some kind.
But what would he leave me? Lots of thoughts crashed my mind.

I watched as he carried his bag down the hall.
But he started to leave, and he left me nothing at all.

So with fire in my eyes, and spit on my lip,
I yelled 'cross the room, "hey man, what's your trip?"

"I watched as you gave all those gifts to my crew,
but you're giving me nothing, what wrong did I do?"

He turned to Coach Cowher, smiled, and said one thing:
"When you get to Jacksonville, you'll get your fifth Superbowl Ring!"

No comments:

Post a Comment