Thursday, April 16, 2009

Reporters Notebook: 041809 - "Call Me Mr. Pitzer"

One of my cousins brought her new boyfriend to Grandma Mentzer’s house for Easter dinner last weekend.
It’s a tradition that dates back to the Uncle Jeff era, when he brought over the smoking young lass that he was dating at the time.
From what I was told (I was not born at the time), Aunt Sharon underwent questioning. After all, she is from Bermudian Springs, so she was subject to heavy scrutiny.
Sharon made it through alive, and I’m happy to report that she has been happily married to Uncle Jeff for about 15 years.
So here we are last weekend, around the kitchen table, and Pappy Mentzer introduced my cousin’s new boyfriend.
Pappy named all of us aloud, before Uncle Stan walked into the room with an outstretched hand.
“I’m Uncle Stan,” he said to the young lad.
Laughter ensued.
“Are you going to make him call you that?” I asked.
Stan replied: “No, he can call me Mr. Mentzer.”
I think he was joking.
But I’m not sure.
~ Mr. Scot A. Pitzer

No comments:

Post a Comment