Thursday, April 09, 2009

Reporters Notebook: 041109 - "Easter Memories"

Every year at Easter, I reflect upon my favorite memories from past holidays.
Like the time Pappy Pitzer nailed the plastic egg to a backyard tree, fooling everyone during the annual hunt.
Or when Mike and Jamie and I were growing up, we’d set a bowl of Trix cereal out for the Easter Bunny at night.
There was the year when Jamie was running in a track tournament on Saturday, and I caught some sort of allergic ailment. The next morning, on Easter Sunday in Church, my eyes were so swollen that everyone thought I had been out partying all night long. Dad took me to the emergency room at Gettysburg Hospital.
And who could forget the year when Grandma Mentzer promised her older grandchildren that there were four large plastic eggs, all containing money, hidden in the backward. We hunted for 60 minutes, but to no avail. When we went indoors, Uncle Stan informed us that they never actually hid our eggs — it was all just a big trick. We didn’t think it was funny. Meanwhile, our aunts and uncles laughed all afternoon.
What will this year bring? It’s tough to say.
I just hope there aren’t any rabbit pellets in my Easter Basket this year.
~ Scot A. Pitzer

No comments:

Post a Comment