Thursday, January 28, 2010

COLUMN: Gettysburg Times - 01/30/10

A little old lady approached me Wednesday afternoon near the hot food aisle at Kennie’s in Gettysburg, and asked me about the “lineup scenarios” for the Biglerville-Bermudian wrestling match tonight.
“I think it’ll be decided by 10 points or less,” she predicted, adding that she purchased her ticket “as soon as they went on sale Tuesday morning.”
The match was reportedly sold-out within 48 hours.
“I tell you what,” the blue-eyed lass continued, “Bermudian has had a pretty good team the past couple of years.”
Well, yeah, they advanced to the state tournament in 2007-09, and even took second place there two years ago.
That’s pretty darn good, in my humble opinion.
“But the Canners - - - they’ve got that tradition up in Biglerville,” she continued. “They like to pin people.”
She paused, before smiling: “I graduated from Biglerville in 1948.”
Momentarily, she unzipped her winter jacket to reveal a camouflage sweatshirt, emblazoned with “C-A-N-N-E-R-S” on the front side.
Seconds later, she asked me who I’m rooting for tonight. I explained to her that I have to remain neutral, since I work at the newspaper.
Next thing I know, she planted a boot upon my derriere.
Lesson learned.
See you all in line four hours before the match starts.
~ Scot A. Pitzer, Times Staff Reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment