Thursday, February 05, 2009

Reporters Notebook: 020709 - "When I Get Old & I Can't See, I Want To Be A Referee"

Just when you think you’ve seen it all, I witnessed a true stunner in Biglerville.
Home fans actually applauded a referee during a wrestling match.
No, I’m not kidding.
Two wrestling teams had just finished their customary warmups, but couldn’t start the match because there was no referee. It was a post-season District III-Double A Team Tournament match, so two officials were assigned to the contest.
None were present.
A five minute delay ensued.
When the two officials finally entered the gymnasium, the home fans gave the referees a rousing ovation.
Yes, you read that correctly.
Fans welcomed the officials to the Canner Dome.
One official actually turned to the Canner Faithful, wove his hand and bowed his head.
It was an historic moment.
Of course, both were booed the rest of the night.
~ Scot A. Pitzer

No comments:

Post a Comment