Monday, November 12, 2007

Reporters Notebook (Gettysburg Times: 11/17/07) - "Popcorn and Soda"

On our way to the movie theater last weekend, my sister proposed a deal.
"You pay for the movies," Jamie told me, "and I'll pay for the snacks."
Translated into English, the Kutztown University sophomore actually said: "You're paying for the most expensive part of the evening, because you work for a living, and I'll pay for the cheap part of the night, because I'm a college student...I don't have any money, and therefore, I'm allowed to be fiscally frugal."
I agreed to her proposition, and forked over $17 at the gate for two general admission cinema tickets.
Yeah, it's two hours of salary, but heck, when you're spending time with family, money isn't an issue.
In the snack line, Jamie orders two small drinks, and two small popcorns. When the cashier read the bill, my sister was dumbfounded.
"Your total is $16.50," the cashier said.
Popcorn = $4.75. Soda = $3.50.
My sister turned toward me, and made the biggest puppy-dog face in the history of the world.
I don't think she'll be negotiating any more of her "deals" any time soon.
~ Scot Andrew Pitzer

No comments:

Post a Comment