Thursday, October 04, 2007

Reporters Notebook (Gburg Times: 10/06/07 - "Don't forget to lay your tip"

Upon returning to my table at Dunlaps earlier this week, after paying my lunch bill, I noticed that the dollar I had previously laid for a tip was no longer situated near my plate.
Instead, the dollar had mysteriously drifted two feet toward the left, and was now in the area where colleague Jarrad Hedes had been sitting, directly across from where photographer Bill Schwartz had dined.
The dollar was conveniently atop another $1 bill, likely from Jarrad’s wallet. And the youngster, it appeared, was ready to pounce on Bill’s ensuing tip.
“What’s this?” I recall asking Jarrad. “It looks like I’m being stingy, and that you’re the only one laying down a tip.”
His reply...
“Yeah,” he said, “I always do that.”
Oh really?
Waitresses across Adams County likely believe that I’ve been stifing them.
That, of course, would explain my periodic half-servings and platters of cold food.
~ Scot Andrew Pitzer

No comments:

Post a Comment