Thursday, March 25, 2010

COLUMN: 03/27/10

It’s no secret — I’ve always turned to my brother Michael for medical advice.
In fact, when I was a junior at Biglerville High School and having trouble with health class, Mom asked me who I’d call if she was choking on food.
“Mike,” I replied, unaware that the correct answer was “9-1-1.”
My brother’s explanations for common, everyday medical symptoms are amazing, because of their relative simplicity.
“I’ve had a stomach ache for two days,” I’ll tell my brother. “Quit eating Doritos, pizza and wings,” he’ll reply.
Runny nose? “You probably just have a cold,” Mike will tell me.
Throbbing headache? “Go to bed at a decent hour,” he’ll reply.
Itchy eyes? “It’s allergy season,” Mike will often say.
So, it’s no surprise to me that after eight years of schooling (including the Penn State-Hershey School of Medicine), Mike is starting a residency program at the University of Maryland Medical Center.
He’s hoping to be a family practitioner someday.
I always knew he was destined for greatness.
After all, I’d call him instead of 9-1-1.
~ Scot A. Pitzer, Times Staff Reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment