Thursday, June 04, 2009

060609: Reporters Notebook: "Wiffleball Recap"

My loyal readers were stunned last weekend when they opened up the newspaper, and did not see a Reporters Notebook authored by Scot Pitzer.
They wanted to know who won the annual Wiffleball Bash at Mentzer Field on Memorial Day, but were unable to find results.
I tried to explain to my fans that it was my weekend to submit the video notebook, which is available on the Gettysburg Times web edition, and that I gave the wiffleball game full coverage. No one wanted to hear it.
“We don’t get the internet where we live,” a Mount Tabor resident told me.
One member of Wenksville United Methodist Church nearly sobbed, explaining that they drove down to Salim’s Mini-Mart in Arendtsville to pick up their Saturday newspaper, just to find out who won the game.
“I almost asked Salim for a refund,” the disappointed gentleman said.
Additionally, I received an anonymous letter in the newsroom this week, written by an individual claiming to be a “grandmother from Upper Adams.” She doesn’t get the Internet either where she lives, so I apologize.
For those that were unable to watch the video notebook, here is a recap: the Nieces & Nephews team won 18-17; Uncle Jeff chased a foul fly-ball down Grandma’s hill and nearly ended up in the Susquehanna River; Jamie Pitzer pitched a complete game; Gabe May played outstanding defense; and I clubbed two home runs.
“They’ll be talking about it for years,” said Umpire Pappy Mentzer.
Indeed, it was an inspirational showdown that will be forever etched in the chronicles of time.
~ Scot A. Pitzer, Times Staff Reporter

No comments:

Post a Comment